Saturday 7 March 2009

Harbingers of spring





The second half of February was mild, a promise of spring. Honeybees came out, several days on the trot, to contentedly buzz between snowdrops, crocuses, hellebores and honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima).

A tray of old English apple pips I planted last autumn has germinated – I’m delighted as it’s the start of a coppiced orchard I’m hoping to plant. A Permaculture concept, the trees’ primary role will be to make lots of new growth to cut, chop and compost - easily harvested fertility to divert towards greedy vegetables. My pips, from a friend’s orchard of vast, ancient specimens, were open-pollinated (by bees), so their gene pool is unpredictable, unlike the grafted, named varieties you would choose for reliable fruit. Unless I’m unlucky however, they should be super-vigorous and strong, well-suited to local conditions as their parents live just down the road.

No comments: