Thursday 9 October 2008

Pigeon and 'Hen of the woods'


One of this country bumpkin’s greatest pleasures when visiting big cities is to enjoy cultural diversity, especially tasting it (I don’t think you can eat Japanese, Indonesian, Hungarian or West Indian food within a hundred mile radius of Bertie’s Cottage). Borough Market was a foodie’s paradise, but the most delicious mouthfuls I ate all week were on returning home, when Jim produced a supper of pan-fried pigeon breast, rare and succulent, nestling on a slice of our own Large Black bacon and a crouton. With a fresh green salad it was sumptuous, and made me glad that (before I’d left for London!), I had picked up the dead, but still warm pigeon, obviously hit by a car in a lane near my house.

The other exciting wild food I found was a ‘hen of the woods’ mushroom, weighing in at over three-quarters of a pound. After exhaustively checking in Roger Phillip’s mushroom book, and then on the internet, we discovered it is a great delicacy in Japan, and although not common in England, is well worth eating. There was a warning that although definitely not toxic, some people experience an allergic reaction on eating it, so we tried a tiny portion each twenty-four hours before tucking in to the delicious ‘hen’.

No comments: