Thursday 9 October 2008

A trip to London



Last Saturday, as always on returning from a city, I heaved a huge sigh of relief as I turned into the tiny, winding lane that is the home stretch. The forty hour round trip to London had been a success – the highlight, Biodynamic Food Fortnight’s opening at Borough Market was well worth the effort, with interesting lectures, a chance to meet inspiring characters and taste the flavour of food that is produced to specification rather than price.

Rothko at the Tate Modern was fantastic too, and just as I started the trip home, I walked over the Millennium Bridge to see a tug(?) towing two rafts of containers up the river. I was a student in London, and still visit occasionally, but I’ve never seen that before. How cool - 46 containers, and only one engine!

On the subject of transport, unlike this visit where I had needed a capacious boot, I am glad that my next trip will be by train, since it is cheaper, quicker, greener, more comfortable, and I will be delighted to avoid the frighteningly aggressive drivers who hoot when you hesitate for the merest nano-second. I can’t help reflecting on the other side of the coin - Londoners holidaying in Devon, who creep fearfully along the lanes hoping that if they meet another vehicle they will not be compelled to reverse back to the last passing place, a quarter of a mile up the hill, and round several bends. In this neck of the woods, driving involves communication and courtesy – there is no threat in a moment’s eye-contact with a stranger, in a smile, or a hand held up in thanks! And the culture of cooperation and consideration that is built makes travelling a much happier experience.

No comments: