Tuesday 23 September 2008



One of my favourite combinations for this time of year, Rose ‘Iceberg’ a real good-doer that flowers from June until Christmas, climbs through Acer tschonoskii subs. koreanum, the first tree to herald the autumn by turning coral red. (Due to their tricky position in the garden, and my lack of expertise, I haven’t been able to take a good photo showing both the roses and coloured leaves, but Jim liked this one and thought I should include it).
The acer has great character as well as beauty. What at first appears to be a single specimen is then revealed as a trio of three, planted only eighteen inches apart. In February I’m always surprised at their temerity in unfurling young leaves before most other deciduous species’ buds have even swelled, and whilst leaf drop occurs correspondingly early, the red bark on the new wood makes an attractive feature of the bare branches whilst they are dormant.

No comments: